Happy & Healthy
Tooth Extractions Alexandria VA
Happy & Healthy
Tooth Extractions Alexandria VA
in Alexandria, VA
A dental tooth extraction is the removal of a tooth from its socket in the bone. Extractions are performed for several reasons, but usually to remove a tooth which is unrestorable because of decay, periodontal disease, or dental trauma. Impacted wisdom teeth can easily cause infections and will need to be removed. If the teeth are crowded, healthy teeth may need to be extracted to create space so the rest of the teeth can be straightened.
Americans over the age of 65 still have most of their natural teeth. With the many new advances in the dental industry, more patients of all ages are keeping their natural teeth clean and free of bacteria and decay. But still, no matter how hard we try, our teeth can become infected and need to be treated immediately.
The entire team at INSPIRE DENTAL OF ALEXANDRIA shares an office goal. With over three decades of experience, we pride ourselves in being old school when it comes to respecting you and your family and giving you the treatment that we would wish to receive ourselves. Every single patient receives the quality care they deserve. This is the way to earn your trust and satisfaction. Our team is focused on our collaborative efforts to promote oral health by practicing prevention, wellness, enhancement, and renewing rejuvenation. Visit us at 4660 Kenmore Ave., #320, Alexandria, VA 22304 or give us a call today at 703-751-7600 to schedule your appointment to see if you might benefit from a tooth extraction.
When Is It Necessary to Have a Tooth Extraction?
We will focus and do our best to repair a tooth that is broken or damaged by decay with a filling, crown, or other dental treatment. When the damage is too severe to repair, INSPIRE DENTAL OF ALEXANDRIA will recommend a tooth extraction.
Here are a few reasons a tooth extraction might be necessary:
- Decay or infection- At the center of every one of our natural teeth, there is a soft tissue that is connected to the nerves of our tooth. This tissue is called the pulp of the tooth. When the tooth becomes damaged and decay reaches the pulp, the pulp becomes infected. When this happens, it can cause serious toothaches and sharp pains in your tooth. Often these infected teeth can be saved with root canal therapy. If not, a tooth extraction is the last resort.
- Wisdom Teeth- Wisdom teeth erupt in our late teens or early twenties. In many cases, wisdom teeth grow in crooked and begin pushing your teeth causing a misalignment. INSPIRE DENTAL OF ALEXANDRIA removes wisdom teeth all the time, whether they have grown in or are still beneath the gum line, we can remove them simply or surgically. It is recommended to have your wisdom teeth extracted before they start growing in. Even if your wisdom teeth have grown in and have caused you no problems to date, they may cause you trouble in the future because they become more susceptible to infection in your thirties and forties.
- Gum Disease- One of the leading causes of tooth loss is periodontal disease. This is a gum disease that causes the gums to slowly detach from the teeth when there is an excessive amount of plaque or tartar. This is when you will notice your gums becoming swollen, red, and bleeding often. If left untreated, the connectivity tissue that holds your teeth will start to lose its grip on your teeth. Your teeth will start to loosen up and INSPIRE DENTAL OF ALEXANDRIA may need to extract them to eliminate the pain.
- Lack of Space- Orthodontic correction might require tooth extraction to create room for the teeth as they are moved into their corrected place.
- Trauma or injury- When an accident happens involving a tooth it can cause extreme pain. INSPIRE DENTAL OF ALEXANDRIA can repair and save damaged teeth by using a filling to fill in the cracks or fractures that were caused by the trauma. The cracks need to be filled to prevent any infection from spreading, and to prevent any decay. If a filling does not suffice, we will use a dental crown. A dental crown covers the entire surface of the tooth above the gum line. When neither of these options help prevent decay from spreading, we will have no choice but to extract the tooth to prevent further damage to the tooth and the surrounding teeth as well.
Even with the best of diligence to maintain your oral health things don’t go as planned. Once in a while, and you might find that your teeth need to be restored or replaced. Missing, cracked, damaged, or even decayed teeth will dull your smile. Did you know it can also affect your oral health? At Inspire Dental of Alexandria we offer restorative dentistry to ensure that your teeth and oral health are back to their former state.
It is important to feel confident in your smile, because being confident in your smile means being confident in yourself. Despite this, many people walk around every day, resigned to the fact that their smile is what it is and there is really nothing they can do to change it. But what if that was not the case? What if improving the aesthetic appearance and/or functionality of your smile was easier than you thought?
Almost 50 million Americans experience tooth-loss every year. Dental bridges have traditionally been the best option if you are in this situation. However, there have been continual technological advancements regarding different types of dental implants. Dental implants are becoming both a common and popular procedure to restore a missing tooth or teeth.
The Preparation for a Tooth Extraction
Before removing a tooth, INSPIRE DENTAL OF ALEXANDRIA will thoroughly review your medical and dental history and take the necessary X-rays. X-rays will reveal the length, shape, and position of the tooth and the surrounding bone. We can use this information to determine the best way to remove the tooth.
Before removal with a simple extraction, we will numb the area around your tooth with a local anesthetic. During a surgical extraction we might find it beneficial to administer dental sedation, which can range from conscious sedation to general anesthesia, which will put you to sleep. If this is the case it will be necessary for someone to drive you home after the procedure.
Tooth Extraction Procedures
- A Simple Procedure- Using a local anesthetic to numb the surrounding area, we will likely loosen up your tooth and simply pull it out using a dental tool called an elevator. This procedure is used when the tooth that needs to be extracted has grown above the gum line for easy access. We will use dental tools to loosen the tooth and lift it up and out for a clean extraction.
- Surgical Procedure- A surgical extraction is a more complicated procedure as it requires us to create an incision into the gum line to retrieve the tooth. This is often needed during a wisdom tooth extraction or if a tooth is broken well below the gum line. The local anesthetic will eliminate any discomfort during these extractions. We can also discuss a dental sedation for any anxiety as well.
WHAT OUR DENTAL PATIENTS SAY
Following Your Tooth Extraction
The most important thing after a tooth extraction, is to keep the area clean and prevent infection. Immediately following your procedure, INSPIRE DENTAL OF ALEXANDRIA will ask you to bite down gently on a piece of sterile gauze, which you should keep there for the clotting to take place. We will provide aftercare instructions, but for 24 hours following your extraction, you should not smoke, rinse your mouth vigorously, or clean the teeth near the extraction site.
You can expect some discomfort after an extraction. We might prescribe a pain reliever for you. It will help to apply an ice pack to your cheek to contain any swelling. You should also limit strenuous activity, as well as avoiding hot liquids and not to drink with a straw. If you experience prolonged discomfort, swelling, bleeding, or a fever, call us immediately.
Our Mission Statement is to Open Doors with a Smile
At INSPIRE DENTAL OF ALEXANDRIA, our mission statement is quite simple. We approach every patient with attentive, gentle grace and patience. We understand the concept that we each are unique, and we all have our personal therapy plans. No matter the age, we will treat each patient only as we wish to be treated. By integrating cutting-edge technology with solid tradition, we attempt every day to exceed your expectations. Visit us at 4660 Kenmore Ave., #320, Alexandria, VA 22304 or give us a call today at 703-751-7600 to schedule your appointment for an evaluation to see if you might benefit from a tooth extraction. High quality, comfortable, relaxing environment, and plenty of smiles is what you will encounter at INSPIRE DENTAL OF ALEXANDRIA.